January 12, 2012

Generation-Z


They worry me. That is what comes to my head in an instant of typing the title. Maybe it’s just my personal experience but it seems like the nine year olds are being nineteen, the nineteen already twenty nine and the twenty nine striving to be... well they want to be nineteen like they have a year to pop but that’s a whole other post.


Whatever happened to aging gracefully? I would seriously like to know. Why is everyone hurrying up the Big Man’s original plan? Our blue print clearly was drafted so that every age had its charm. I know I might be too young to say this. But hey, if everyone’s a decade ahead anyway, I can be too. When I was nine, I read a book with a real spine and beautiful pages that could be flipped, I was colouring between the lines, playing all sorts of sport and wearing every hideous thing my Mom bought me. What I wasn’t doing was pressing <- and -> on a kindle while 'reading', colouring on iPad apps, playing sports on the Wii and shopping on asos.com.

Why don’t people love the phase they’re in? Why work SO hard at growing up, only to be depressed when you do?

This is how ancient I feel. I had a Jimmy Choo catalogue lying around my room. Like a normal twenty four year old, I saw a shoe I liked. My little ten year old cousin was peeking at it too when I said to her, “That green shoe is beautiful”. She gave me a look of utter disbelief that quickly transitioned into a pitiful expression and said to me, “You mean the jade one, yes?”. Jade. Yes, JADE. Are colours not even colours anymore? Do we all talk in Gemstone now? I couldn’t do anything but sigh and apologize for my utter ignorance at the fact that it so clearly and obviously was a specific shade of the colour palette.

Maybe I’m being unreasonable, but I blame progress and technology. Hey I’m a total tech geek and proud of it. But at ten, I’m sorry; I wasn’t ALLOWED to be one. What with my Mom’s ridiculous ‘only 30 minutes of screen-viewing a day’ policy. I hated it then. I love it now. It needs to be back. I mean, I'm one of THOSE who got her glasses because of excessive 'nose in a book' syndrome, not watching The Disney Channel or Facebooking. I mean, even in THAT respect, how horrible is it to grow up around destructive mutant-like animes and not ever know the joy of a Hanna-Barbara cartoon?

Another thing. Children have too much information. Too many objects connected via electronic wires and cables. There are far too many gadgets doing our work FOR us. Too many ‘international’ schools who think calculators are oh-so vital for a 2+2 ... and far too many websites teaching a kid, how not to be one. 

So the next time you're left wondering why a nine year old, isn't like a nine year old anymore... I guess the answer would be the exact same reason that this post is not hand-written.

2 comments:

  1. Oh THANK you! If a 9 year old cousin can get that way, imagine what an 18 year old sister is capable of. And I thought I was being/thinking archaic. Phew, so it's not just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am seeing it all around me.. god help us all

    ReplyDelete